The book pens a journey with Mary, the mother of Jesus, as a framework for pondering life lessons, or songs, of grace-filled "yes" to God.

This blog continues to explore the implications of these songs in daily life. Here you will find ten additional reflections on each of Mary's "songs." May they continue to encourage your heart. ~Carla

Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Prayer In the Waiting

Last night I was attempting to fall asleep to music created for that purpose, when I was suddenly conscious of these words bounding in my head: "Wait for the Lord, keep watch, take heart."  The words quickly found their own mysterious pathway to my heart, and I lay there for quite some time, pondering this central, grace-filled posture of a rightly directed Christian soul. I had again fallen into a moment when "the circumstances I see had become all the reality I recognize," and, like Peter, I was sinking again. ("Songs of Assent,"Simplicity, 46)

Waiting is a major theme in Songs of Assent.  I return to it frequently throughout the book, but this morning I find myself grateful for a particular prayer that welled up in my heart one day last fall and stays put on the page, even when my own wandering heart must return and rest inside its truth yet again.

"Lord Jesus, please come in.  You are so welcome here. You are the one who has made possible the transformation of our dust into fertile soil.  Your Spirit dwells within.  Your Father owns the land.  Thank you for what is coming up that we can see.  Thank you for what has been planted that we will not see for years.  Truly blessed are we as we receive the grace to believe that you will plant your seed, protect its growth and bear your own beautiful fruit in our lives." ("Songs of Assent, " Receptivity, p. 65)

Wait for the Lord.  Keep Watch.  Take Heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment