The book pens a journey with Mary, the mother of Jesus, as a framework for pondering life lessons, or songs, of grace-filled "yes" to God.

This blog continues to explore the implications of these songs in daily life. Here you will find ten additional reflections on each of Mary's "songs." May they continue to encourage your heart. ~Carla

Monday, August 24, 2009

Contagious Contentment

My husband is in the midst of "rush"--that semi-annual event that descends upon college bookstores the week prior to the start of classes. He was coming home frazzled every night for days, and falling into bed by 8:00. Our conversations were brief and rather snappy. One would think that after 54 rushes (27 years of marriage times two) I would know he needed some extra support in these moments. But I was in my own world most of the week and not much help.

I woke up on Friday. The house needed major attention, there was no nourishing food to be found, and, most importantly, I was as internally distracted as my environment. So, I confessed my distraction to the Lord, professed my ongoing love and commitment to this academic book guy, and got to work. The house got clean. The groceries got bought. Dinner actually got prepared.

In the midst I found myself looking around at this house we bought 16 years ago over a whirlwind weekend visit the spring before I started teaching at Wheaton. I love it. It's small and wraps itself in warmth around us. I began to taste gratitude again.

And by the time Wyatt walked in the door, I was once again in my right mind. I received yet another infusion of contentment--which must surely be one of the Spirit's most delightful sisters to simplicity. Have you noticed that contentment is contagious?

No comments:

Post a Comment