The book pens a journey with Mary, the mother of Jesus, as a framework for pondering life lessons, or songs, of grace-filled "yes" to God.

This blog continues to explore the implications of these songs in daily life. Here you will find ten additional reflections on each of Mary's "songs." May they continue to encourage your heart. ~Carla

Friday, April 9, 2010

A Change of Season

April 1st marked the first anniversary of the publication of Songs of Assent.  This year has been an amazing season of watching a creative work breathe on her own and find her own way in the world.  Every time I have held my breath as I leafed through the pages wondering if I really said what I wanted to say, my pulse has  slowed down gradually and I have thought, "It's alright.  It is good just as it is." And I can say this even when I have been pointed to rich truth in the last year that I wish had been included.  

The new publishing technology of print-on-demand (POD) books has offered Pam (my sister and illustrator) and me a medium for creation that has come with the delightful adventure of marketing the book as it was written: receptively, one opportunity at a time.  There came a day a few months ago when we sold a book that appeared to be a "fourth generation" word-of-mouth sale.  I didn't know the person who told the person who told...well, you see what I mean. I value such delightfully nuanced connections incongruously made possible by our high-tech world.

To cap off this first year Pam and I went to London this March, in part to conduct a two-day conference on Songs of Assent.  As I prepared for this delightful trip  I revisited all five of the biblical texts on which the book rests, and discovered new treasures.  You won't find these thoughts in my book--they are hinted at in my last five blogs, and fleshed out in mp3s to be available for purchase sometime later this spring on a new website,
www.carlawaterman.com. (If you want the mp3s of the 2nd day of the conference where I speak in depth on receptivity and wisdom, they, too, will be available for purchase in the near future.) 

But with the first anniversary of publishing and the London conference, I find my heart and mind moving to other topics and other sites.  You can find me blogging regularly at www.worshipedia.org  on themes connected to worship, and, soon, on a more open-ended blog to be housed on my new site.

However, if you are new to Songs of Assent, I invite you to explore the blogs I have written here this past year.  You can organize them by "song," and because the original themes from the book were uppermost in my mind during this past year, I hope you will encounter insights that will enrich the reading of the book. 

And, whether you are an old friend or new, I invite you to check back here for an announcement on the inauguration of my new website.  I would enjoy your continued company as we learn new songs of "yes" to God to accompany the ones we already know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment